I've been feeling a bit out of sorts this week and needed something to put a spring back in my step. To give me the little spark (ie: kick up the backside) I needed. This tasty fattoush salad definitely did the job. It's packed full of flavour and is super healthy- and boy did I need the healthy aspect to kick into gear this week. I had fallen off the healthy wagon and straight into a pit of fish and chips. With a generous sprinkling of chicken salt. After consuming all that deep fried batter and sodium my body was seriously craving goodness. As much as I love the occasional splurge on fish and chips, it's definitely only a "once in a while" treat around here. Usually a snap decision when we are firmly planted in front of the TV, starving and have no desire to cook. (And opps-------- I think I have described 90% of our evenings).
This tasty fattoush has such a complex layer of flavours - yet hardly takes any work at all. The pita chips give it another dimension- so you are left with a crunchy, tangy salad full of goodness. You can toast the pita chips if you would rather cut down on some of the olive oil (but it has so many health benefits so I just roll with it). Hope you enjoy it! x
- 2 cups olive oil
- 2 pieces Lebanese bread, each cut into 4 pieces
- 500g cherry tomatoes, halved (or vine rippened large tomatoes, chopped)
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways, de-seeded, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped (I also used green capsicum as I had some leftover)
- Handful of finely shredded red cabbage
- 3 small radish, trimmed, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mint leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sumac (see note)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons sumac
- 1 crushed garlic clove (optional)
Make dressing: Combine all ingredients in a screw-top jar. Secure lid. Shake until well combined.
- Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook bread, in 4 batches, turning, for 1 to 2 minutes or until crisp and golden. Transfer to a wire rack to drain.
- Place tomatoes, cabbage, cucumbers, capiscum, radish, onions, parsley and mint in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sumac. Drizzle with dressing. Toss gently to combine.
- Break bread into pieces, toss through salad gently and serve.
All photos by Belinda- www.outoftheoffice.com.au